Connect with us

State News

Indian tennis star Sania Mirza puts retirement plans on hold

Published

on


Indian tennis player Sania Mirza withdrew from the 2022 US Open on Tuesday due to a forearm tendon injury and hinted at some change in her retirement plans.

The 35-year-old was injured while competing at the Canadian Open earlier this month. She played at the Cincinnati Open last week before reaching the women’s doubles semifinals in Toronto with her partner Madison Keys.

Earlier this year, Sania had declared that 2022 would be her last season in professional tennis, but the six-time Grand Slam champion hinted that recent developments may change her plans to retire.

“I have some not-so-good news. I hurt my forearm/elbow while playing in Canada two weeks ago and obviously didn’t realize how bad it was until I had scans yesterday. I tore my tendon a little bit,” he said. Sania Mirza in a statement on Instagram.

“I will be out for a few (few) weeks and I will withdraw from the US Open. This is not ideal and it is a terrible time. It will change some of my retirement plans but I will keep you posted,” he said. additional.

The former Doubles World No.1 was on maternity leave from 2018 until her return to court in January 2020 in Hobart. Sania teamed up with Ukraine’s Nadiia Kichenok to clinch the title. At the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the newly formed couple of Sania and Ankita Raina failed to shine and suffered a first-round exit. The Ukrainian pair of Nadiia and Lyudmyla convincingly beat them.

Earlier this year, Sania and her Czech partner Lucie Hradecka were eliminated in the third round of the women’s doubles at the French Open. The Indian star also bid farewell to Wimbledon after she and her partner Mate Pavic of Croatia lost the mixed doubles semifinal against Neal Skupski and Desirae Krawczyk.


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

State News

Royal Bengal Tiger spotted in Debrigarh wildlife sanctuary in Bargarh

Published

on


A Royal Bengal tiger was spotted at the Debrigarh wildlife sanctuary in Bargarh. The Divisional Forestry Officer (DFO) confirmed the same on Saturday from video footage that captured the tiger moving in the forest.

The tiger was reportedly spotted at the Debrigarh wildlife sanctuary located near Sambalpur’s Hirakud Dam. The tiger gender is male and it is an endangered species as its count is very low, reported Anshu Pragyan Das, DFO, Hirakud Wildlife Division.

The DFO expressed his joy that after several years a tiger was seen in the sanctuary. The team is even trying to track down whether or not the tiger has any female partners. Security around the sanctuary has been tightened to restrict the entry of unauthorized persons or poachers.

“It was seen while venturing near the safari area of ​​the sanctuary on December 1 and patrol staff captured video of the tiger as it crossed a road. This is the first time a tiger has entered the front door,” the DFO reported.

The DFO also ensured that special security measures are taken to ensure the protection of the tiger. As reported by the DFO, 12 teams have been hired to monitor the tiger.

“In addition to hiring a special team to monitor the tiger 24 hours a day, GIS technicians have been hired. A special patrol team is also engaged outside the sanctuary with metal detectors. We are emphasizing a special intelligence network to track and restrict unauthorized entry into the sanctuary. Immediate action will be taken against any illegal activity, the DFO said.

He further added: “We have yet to determine if the tiger was previously present at the wildlife sanctuary or if it came from Chhattisgarh. Last time, a royal Bengal tiger was seen in Debrigarh in 2018. We will track down the details soon if it ventured from any other landscape or was present here.”

In addition, security cameras have been installed at various locations in the sanctuary to track the feral cat.

In particular, the Debrigarh Wildlife Sanctuary spans Bargarh, near the Hirakud Dam, as well as the neighboring state. After 2018, not a single tiger was seen in the dense forest. The forestry department is on high alert as previous poachers remained quite active in the area.

Reported by Sanjay Jena (Sambalpur)


Continue Reading

State News

Belgian girl weds Indian man as RK Narayan’s ‘Guide’ recreated in real life

Published

on


The legendary storyteller, Padma Vibhushan RK Narayan, would have been very proud if he had been alive today, because one of his great books ‘Guide’ has apparently come to life in real life.

It turns out that a 30-year-old tour guide, Ananth Raju, has married his 27-year-old Belgian girlfriend, Camille, in Hampi, Karnataka. And his love story was straight out of Narayan’s award-winning novel. The two were married on Friday according to Hindu rituals at the city’s Virupaksha temple.

The two reportedly met in Hampi just before the covid pandemic hit India in 2020. When Camille visited Hampi with her family, Raju not only took her around the city and gave her history-related information, but also he also arranged for her to stay at a good hotel.

Although Camille returned to Belgium with her family after her tour ended, the two kept in touch via social media. Gradually the friendship grew and both expressed their desire for marriage to their families, which both families accepted.

Camille was unable to come to India due to Covid restrictions but once the restrictions were lifted Camille came to Hampi. And both of them got married according to Hindu rituals.

Narayan’s ‘Guide’, which was published in 1958, has a similar plot in which a tour guide falls in love with a married woman who happened to be the wife of an archaeologist. The story took numerous twists and turns until the ‘guide’ ended up as a religious preacher in a temple.

A movie was made based on the novel which was released in 1965. The hit movie had Dev Anand and Wahida Rahman in the lead roles.


Continue Reading

State News

Anand Mahindra awe-stricken by this 6-seater cycle, netizens hail desi jugaad

Published

on


Auto baron Anand Mahindra shared a video on Twitter praising a rural youth using an EV. He showered her with praise for her inventiveness, originality, and innovation.

The young man in the video drives his friends down the highway in unison in his custom-built six-seater electric two-wheeler.

According to Mahindra, necessity is the mother of invention and this concept could find global use as a tourist “bus” in busy European tourist destinations.

According to the man in the video, it runs on electricity and can travel up to 150 km on a single charge. This car costs between Rs. 10,000 and Rs. 12,000. Furthermore, the young man claimed that the car can be charged at just Rs 10.

Sharing the video, Mahindra wrote: “With only small design inputs (cylindrical sections for the @BosePratap chassis?), this device could find global application. As a tourist ‘bus’ in the busy European tourist centers? I am always impressed by innovations in rural transport, where necessity is the mother of invention”.

His video has received a good response with more than 826.6k views, more than 43k likes and more than 5k retweets.

Industrialist Anand Mahindra frequently tweets interesting videos on Twitter that draw the attention of netizens. He rarely misses an opportunity to praise remarkable creations, and his most recent post is no exception.


Continue Reading

Trending