Connect with us

Nation

Covid-19: Sarawak spent RM300mil on it’s vaccination programme, says Uggah

Published

on



SIBU: The State Disaster Management Committee (JPBN) has so far spent a total of RM300 thousand for its Covid-19 vaccination program in the state.

Its president, Datuk Amar Douglas Uggah Embas, said the spending also included the provision of support facilities for the treatment of Covid-19.

“This does not involve the cost of buying vaccines because the central government provides the vaccines for free.

“This is for the operation of the Covid-19 vaccination service.”

“This includes expenses for transportation, food, hotel payment for quarantine, field hospitals, detection tests and others related to vaccination services, including the provision of support facilities for the treatment of Covid-19,” he told the journalists after attending the Covid-19 Conference in the Central Zone. 19 Frontliners Joint Appreciation Night on Saturday (Aug 27).

Uggah, who is also Deputy Prime Minister of Sarawak, said that carrying out vaccination services in the state was not an easy task because many areas were difficult to reach as they were in very remote areas.

“For example, carrying out vaccination campaigns upstream in Baram, upstream in Batang Rajang and other remote areas requires boats and helicopters as well as fuel to get there,” he stressed.

According to him, the main priority despite the challenge was to save people’s lives by vaccinating as many people as possible and as soon as possible.

“Without the allocation, our vaccination program would have been slower. However, Sarawak had the fastest vaccination rate in the country,” he added.

Separately, Uggah also expressed concern that 7.1% of those eligible to receive the second booster dose had not yet had an injection. He urged them to get the injection right away.

He also didn’t rule out the possibility that people were still worried about getting the injection.

He advised the group to prioritize protecting themselves.

In addition, he also reminded people in the public experiencing symptoms to do a self-exam or visit a nearby hospital immediately.

“Now in the hospital, we already have antiviral drugs to treat covid-19 and they will be delivered to those who are eligible and need them,” he added.

Asked about the situation of Covid-19 in the state, he said that the number fluctuated but said that the epidemic was still there.

“This epidemic is still with us but we can live as usual because much of the population has received their respective vaccines but we have to be careful,” he added.


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Nation

Peter Anthony uses Sabah budget debate to apologise for ‘words, actions’ during GE15

Published

on



KOTA KINABALU: Parti Kesejahteraan Demoktratik Malaysia (KDM) Chairman Datuk Peter Anthony (Photo) took the opportunity to apologize for any wrong words and actions that may have occurred throughout his campaign leading up to the 15th General Election (GE15).

He was giving his budget debate speech during the state legislature sitting here on Tuesday (Nov. 29), when he apologized without directly referring to any issue or issue.

“The general elections recently concluded and whatever has happened in the past, I hope it stays in the past,” he said.

“We are now in a new government and we hope we can all work together at the state and federal level to budget and move Sabah forward to bring political stability and economic growth,” Peter said.

Representing the party and all its members, he said, “if something wrong was said and done, I apologize.”

On November 5, a riot broke out at the Tenom nomination center when Peter’s nomination was rejected hours after it was accepted by the state Election Commission.

A group of supporters went on a rampage, forcing security forces to use tear gas to disperse the crowd at around 2:00 p.m.

Earlier, Peter spoke about the issues facing his Melalap constituency, which falls under Tenom’s parliamentary seat, including water and electricity supply issues, a lack of shops, economic opportunities and a lack of infrastructure development. .

I hoped that the government would take steps to address these problems, for the betterment of the people of Melalap.

He supported the State Budget 2023 which was introduced in the assembly by Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor on Friday (Nov 25).


Continue Reading

Nation

PTPTN repayment incentive taken up by over 11,000 S’wak graduates since 2019

Published

on



KUCHING: Some 11,095 Sarawakian graduates have benefited from the Yayasan Sarawak Higher Education National Fund Corporation (PTPTN) loan repayment incentive since 2019, says Datuk Roland Sagah.

The state’s education, innovation and talent development minister said the incentive has risen to RM36.1 million since it was introduced.

READ ALSO: Budget 2023: Streamline incentives offered, PTPTN borrowers urged

“Sarawak is the only state in Malaysia that provides such an incentive. Another 30 million ringgit has been approved for this incentive next year,” he told the Sarawak Legislative Assembly as he wrapped up business related to his ministry on Tuesday (Nov 29).

Sagah said the 30:30 incentive was part of the state government’s efforts to help ease the burden on Sarawak graduates of repaying their PTPTN student loans.

Under the scheme, the state government will subsidize 30% of the balance of graduates who have already repaid at least 30% of their loans.

For example, it said that a graduate with a loan of RM10,000 must have paid back at least RM3,000 to be eligible for the scheme.

READ ALSO: PTPTN loan discounts a welcome move

“With this, you are eligible for a 30% incentive on the balance of RM7,000, which goes up to RM2,100.

“Therefore, the remaining balance of the graduate’s loan will be RM4,900,” Sagah said, adding that the scheme encouraged graduates to meet their loan repayment obligations.

Sagah also said that the first Yayasan Sarawak International Secondary School (YSISS) in Petra Jaya began operations on April 4 with an initial cohort of 115 students from across the state.

READ ALSO: Abang Johari hopes Yayasan Sarawak International Schools will produce high-level students

“Once fully developed, the campus will have a capacity of 500 students in years seven to 11, which is equivalent to grades one through five,” he said.

It added that the construction of YSISS Kuching at mile 12 of Kuching-Serian Road was scheduled to be completed in the third quarter of next year, while the construction of YSISS Sibu was scheduled to start early next year.

“Both YSISS Bintulu and Miri are currently in the planning stage,” he said.


Continue Reading

Nation

Three killed, six injured in car-van collision in Kluang

Published

on



KLUANG: Three people were killed and six others injured after an accident involving two vehicles at KM15 Jalan Kluang – Teck Wah Hing here.

Kluang OCPD Asst Comm Bahrin Mohd Noh said the accident happened around 4pm on Monday (November 28), after a 20-year-old driver of a car lost control of the wheels and collided with a van.

“According to the initial investigation, the van was heading towards Kluang from Renggam, while the car was moving in the opposite direction.

“The driver of the car then lost control and skidded into the oncoming lane, causing the collision to occur,” he said in a statement here Monday.

He added that the family of four in the van sustained injuries and is being treated at Kluang Hospital.

“There were four people in the van, including two children between the ages of 11 and 15. They are currently receiving medical treatment at the hospital.

“Meanwhile, the four people in the van are colleagues. Two of them, including the driver, died at the scene, while one more person died while receiving treatment at the hospital,” he said.

He said the deceased are between 17 and 21 years old.

The case is being investigated under Section 41(1) of the Road Transport Act 1987.


Continue Reading

Trending