Connect with us

Latest News

‘Attack on unity, sovereignty of India’, SC affirms death penalty for Red Fort attack accused

Published

on


New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday upheld the death sentence for Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorist Mohammad Arif alias Ashfaq for carrying out the December 2000 Red Fort attack, saying it was a direct attack on the unit, integrity and sovereignty of India.

Dismissing Arif’s petition for a review of capital punishment, a court consisting of Chief Justice UU Lalit and Justices S. Ravindra Bhat and Bela M. Trivedi said: “the aggravating circumstances evident in the file and especially the fact of that there was a direct attack on the unity, integrity and sovereignty of India, completely outweigh the factors that can even remotely be considered as mitigating circumstances on record.”

Arif, a Pakistani citizen, was found guilty of murder, criminal conspiracy and war against the country. The court concluded that there is nothing in the record that could be taken as a mitigating circumstance in favor of the review petitioner.

“The suggestion that there is a possibility of retribution and rehabilitation is not based on or supported by any recorded material,” said Chief Justice Lalit, who authored the ruling on behalf of the court.

The Chief Justice said in conclusion that it should therefore be noted that, even after avoiding the circumstances, which were directly attributable to the CDRs on which the indictment was based, the other circumstances on record clearly explain and prove irrefutably to doubts the participation of the review. actor in the crime in question.

Referring to the judgment in the Mohd Ajmal Amir Kasab case (2008 Mumbai terrorist attack) (2012), the court said: “when there is a challenge to the unity, integrity and sovereignty of India by acts of terrorism, such acts are take as the most aggravating. circumstances. It is well accepted that the cumulative effect of aggravating factors and mitigating circumstances must be taken into account before passing the death penalty.”

The court noted that there were other circumstances, including a disclosure statement by the convict, which led to an encounter at Batla’s house and the murder of Abu Shamal alias Faisal, which was against the convict.

“The disclosure statement led the police to the hideout at G-73, Batla House, New Delhi and when the police team arrived with the review petitioner they fired on the police team…After the person in question named Abu Shamal alias Faisal was killed in the encounter, certain firearms and ammunition were recovered. The assertion that such ammunition recovery or the Abu Shamal encounter could not be associated with the review petitioner’s disclosure statement is not entirely correct,” the court said.

In the attack on the Red Fort, three people, including two Jawan from the army, were killed.

In August 2011, the Supreme Court upheld the death sentence of LeT terrorist Mohammad Arif arrested for carrying out the December 2000 Red Fort attack. The high court also dismissed his request for review later in August 2011. However, in 2016, the high court decided to rehear his request for review.

In November 2005, the court of first instance sentenced Arif to death. The trial court also fined Arif Rs 4.35 lakh for the attack which left two Jawans Rajputana Rifles and one civilian dead. The Delhi High Court in 2007 upheld Arif’s death sentence.

(IANS)


Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Latest News

Popular Indo-Canadian TikToker dies ‘unexpectedly’ at 21

Published

on


toronto: Indo-Canadian TikToker Megha Thakur, known for spreading messages of body positivity and self-confidence, passed away “suddenly” and “unexpectedly” last week, according to an Instagram post from her parents.

The Brampton influencer with 93,000 TikTok followers died last week at the age of 21.

He came from Indore, Madhya Pradesh.

“It is with a heavy heart that we announce the light of our lives, our kind, loving and beautiful daughter, Megha Thakur, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on November 24, 2022 in the early hours of the morning,” Megha’s parents wrote, sharing the tragic news on Instagram.

“Megha was a confident and independent young woman. We will miss her very much. She loved her fans and she would have wanted you to know of her passing. At this time, we ask for her blessings on Megha. Her thoughts and her prayers will be with her on her journey forward.”

The cause of his death was not disclosed.

A funeral was held in his memory on Tuesday.

“Megha knew how much strength she had in the influencer space and how many women looked up to her, I told her all the time. We lost an angel too soon,” wrote an Instagram fan in response to the post.

“Your posts brought so much confidence and light when I was struggling. She was always an angel, and beautiful inside and out. I am sorry for the loss of her and may she rest in peace,” another Instagram user wrote.

Megha was also active on Instagram with close to 101,000 followers.

Her latest TikTok video, posted on November 18, was captioned: “YOU ARE in charge of your destiny. Remember it.”

In the video, Megha was wearing a gray and beige mini dress, white sandals and dark sunglasses, walking through the streets of New York.

She finished her graduation from Mayfield High School and started making TikTok videos in 2019.

His first video got around 3,000 likes and 60,000 views.

(IANOS)


Continue Reading

Latest News

Around 13,000 Ukrainian soldiers killed since war began

Published

on


kyiv: A senior government official in kyiv has revealed that up to 13,000 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed since Russia launched its ongoing war on February 24.

Speaking to Ukrainian media on Thursday, Mykhailo Podolyak, an adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky, said: “We have official assessments from the General Staff, official assessments from the commander-in-chief (Zelensky), and they range from 10,000 to 12,500-13,000 dead.” reported the BBC

He said the number of civilians killed could also be “significant”

Podolyak further suggested that as many as 100,000 Russian soldiers had been killed since the invasion began, and that between 100,000 and 150,000 more had been wounded, missing, or unable to return to combat.

However, the Ukrainian military has not confirmed the count given by Podolyak.

The latest figures come after Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, said last month that around 100,000 Russian and 100,000 Ukrainian soldiers have been killed or wounded to date.

But the last update from Moscow in September said that only 5,937 soldiers had been killed since the start of the war.

The US general had also pointed out that between 15 and 30 million refugees have been created since Russia launched its invasion.

The UN has registered 7.8 million people as refugees from Ukraine across Europe, including Russia.

(IANOS)


Continue Reading

Latest News

Jubin Nautiyal falls from building staircase; Elbow broken, ribs cracked

Published

on


Mumbai: Singing sensation Jubin Nautiyal suffered injuries after he fell from the stairs of a building and is being treated at a hospital in Mumbai.

The incident occurred early Thursday morning.

A statement read: “The singer broke his elbow, fractured ribs and injured his head after falling down a building staircase.”

“Jubin will undergo surgery on his right arm after his accident. He has been advised not to use his right arm.”

Singer Jubin has firmly established himself as one of the leaders of the Indian music industry with global hits like ‘Raataan Lambiyaan’, ‘Lut Gaye’, ‘Humnava Mere’ and ‘Tujhe Kitne Chahne Lage Hum’, ‘Tum Hi Aana’ and ‘Bewafa Tera Masoon Chehra’.

(IANOS)


Continue Reading

Trending